Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A Cure in Accutane?

One ray of hope that I was given from my opthamologist was the possibility that the drug Accutane could help treat Stargardt's. I was told that if a doctor could have a good enough reason to prescribe the drug to me, my opthamologist would study its effects on my eyes.

Accutane is a drug used to treat severe skin treatments and also cancers. It is known to have severe side effects such as birth defects, kidney problems and depression.

Overall, this drug does not sound like something that I would be willing to take, which I decided after I researched into the side effects, and would probably not be a treatment I would consider for the same reasons even if it would halt the progression of Stargardt's. Although it must be remembered that the progression of Stargardt's can not be predicted so would I risk taking the drug for a condition that may not even get seriously worse? Any thoughts?

Check out the following links for more info on Accutane:

MD Support - Accutane and Stargardt's

Accutane

Wikipedia - Accutane

2 comments:

  1. I think the choice to not use Accutane is very smart! The drug is not very safe and has it's own side effects (sometimes very severe). Don't need more than one health crisis! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roaccutane/Accutane is a very serious medicine that needs to be taken with consultation of a professional physician. We as Orderpharma.com suggest buying brand Roche Accutane or brand Roche Roaccutane for your acne treatment. Since you cannot look into the ingredient of generic Accutane or generic Roaccutane, we suggest you buying Roche Accutane or Roche Roaccutane.

    Buy Accutane Online

    ReplyDelete