Friday, February 24, 2012

Fishies to help Stargardt's?

I was looking up the research on Stargardt's and found that a group were testing the effects of DHA (fish oils) on improving vision of people affected by Stargardt's. The results are yet to be published so I decided that I would do the experiment on myself, as taking fish oil supplements couldn't hurt and would probably benefit me in other ways.

The only thing is I hate fish and anything fishy. If I get a piece of grilled fish for lunch I ask the seafood shop for the most un-fishy fish (and everybody usually laughs at me). Whatever I get I still have to scrunch my nose while I eat it.

So I went to my chemist to look at the fish oil supplements, which I have been meaning to do for a while since I don't eat fish, and thought this was a good motivation. I'd looked up the amount of DHA that was needed and I'd have to take around 10 capsules a day. So the pharmacist recommended I try the liquid fish oil that was more concentrated and had a minty flavour.

It took me a couple of days to actually open the bottle because I was disgusted by the idea of having squished fish oil, and when I did I was horrified. It smelt of peppermint fish!! I sucked it up and tried to drink it. It would have to be the most disgusting thing I have ever tasted. I washed it down with orange juice but I could still taste the mintiness on my breath. I could even smell the stuff on my hands and it made me gag.

So as you can imagine, I haven't touched the stuff since. I think I might have to get some tablets instead. Or wait until the study is completed and hope somebody has invented fish oils that are actually edible!

No comments:

Post a Comment