Saturday, August 27, 2011

Moment of Truth

I have been putting this off for quite some time, but I thought I should get myself together and go to my optometrist to have a check up to see where my eyes are at. I also needed a new pair of glasses as the pair I currently wear are broken - I sat on them and my Dad did a botch glue job to 'fix' them and they are now wonky. So all in a all a visit to the optometrist was overdue.


I felt quite nervous because I didn't want to hear bad news. I had been feeling as though my eyes were deteriorating, that I couldn't see as well and things were getting harder. Going to the optometrist was a big deal for me. 


My lovely Mum came along with me for moral support as I am known to have a breakdown or two, and she came in with me to do the testing. I really REALLY hate doing the eyes tests. I can never see anything and I get really frustrated trying to read the letters. Without my glasses the massive two letters on the first row are a big, blurry mess. So the test stresses me out a bit as I want so badly to be able to read the lines when I can't.  My optometrist discovered that my eyes have become more shortsighted,  so he was able to give me a stronger prescription to help me see in the distance slightly sharper and clearer, which I am excited about.


The great news is my eyes have not deteriorated in the last three years since I have seen him, which I am very lucky and thankful for. The only dampener was that my eyes really are rubbish and I am almost classified as legally blind, but if this is going to be it I sure can live with this and soldier on!


We had a big talk about the reality - driving, work in the future and possible pensions. The last thing I want is to be on a disability pension. I love my work and could not think of a day not being able to work. So I will cross that bridge later when I get to it, but I think its important that I am aware of what help is out there and have an understanding so if the need arose I would know what I have to do.


The main highlight of my visit was getting new glasses! I am so excited to get them! I purchased a new set of Oroton frames that I am in love with that are slightly bigger than your normal sized frames (yes I'm following the fashion trend) and I had an old Guess pair that I'm putting frames in as well.


I am very lucky to now know that my eyes are stable and fingers crossed they stay that way. At least I don't have to go back for testing for another few years!

No comments:

Post a Comment