I was very excited as this is something easy to do. I got on google and searched for saffron supplements and found an Aussie company who make them as "Macular Health" (Nature's Goodness). They only cost me $40 with postage and I got them within a week.
As I am a self confessed nerd, I found the published article online and this is what I gathered:
- Saffron contains the antioxidants crocin and crocetin which is thought to be a retinal neuroprotectant against oxidative damage. This has been found in a rat model.
- A daily supplement of 20mg of saffron was given over 90 days and then changes in the fERG tests were measured.
- They found significant changes in the fERG results.
- A previous study indicated that saffron's protective effect on the retina is only temporary and disappears if supplementation is stopped, which was shown in a rat model.
- Concludes that "saffron supplementation may induce a short term significant improvement in retinal function in early AMD" and more studies are needed.
Saffron Supplementation In Stargardt's Disease
And here is the link for the article on AMD.
Influence of saffron supplementation...
In the meantime, I will continue to take my saffron supplements and see what I can see!